Aṣṭāṅgahṛdayasaṃhitā

  • Creation of machine-readable version: Researchers at Arya Vaidya Pharmacy Research Foundation, Coimbatore

Publication Statement

Published by SARIT: Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts, 2013-2016.
Availability: restricted
Identifier
2016-12-15

Notes Statement

Vāgbhaṭa's Aṣṭāṅgahṛdayasaṃhitā with the commentaries Sarvāṅgasundarā by Aruṇadatta and Āyurvedarasāyana by Hemādri. Transcribed by Researchers at AVP Research Foundation, Coimbatore

Source Description

Title: Aṣṭāṅgahṛdayam, śrīmadvāgbhaṭaviracitam, śrīmadaruṇadattaviracitayā sarvāṅgasundaryākhyā vyākhyayā hemādripraṇītayā āyurvedarasāyanāhvayā ṭīkayā ca samullasitam
Editor: Ananta Moreśvara Kuṃṭe
Editor: Kṛṣṇaśāstrī Rāmacandra
Editor: Hariśāstrī Parādkar
Publisher: Caukhambhā Orieyanṭāliyā
Place of Publication: Vārāṇasī
Date: 2002
Series: Jaikrishnadas Ayurveda series no. 52
Note: First published in 1939 by N. S. Press, Bombay

Encoding Description

Editorial Description

The published edition from which this e-text was transcribed is printed in the Devanāgarī script. The electronic text below is in a lossless transliteration using the Latin alphabet. The transliteration scheme used is the IAST (The International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration). IAST differs in small ways from ISO 15919, but is preferred by most working Sanskrit scholars. Conversion of this file to ISO 15919 can be achieved by performing the following replacements throughout the file: ṛ -> r̥ and ṃ -> ṁ

Text divison is as Devanāgarī ("ityevam" not "ity evam".)

Initial vowel elision for avagraha is reversed and marked with a + sign: e.g., "prathamo+adhyāyaḥ"

The text is structured in three div-levels:

  • 6 chapters encoded as <div type="level1" subtype="sthāna">.
  • Several subchapters encoded as <div type="level2 subtype="adhyāya">
  • Within the subchapters the base text and the commentaries were enclosed in separate div-elements: <div type="basetext" ana="Aṣṭāṅgahṛdayasaṃhitā">; <div type="commentary1" ana="Sarvāṅgasundarā"> and <div type="commentary2" ana="Āyurvedarasāyana">.

The divisions of the base text and the commentaries are based on the electronic text. These div-elements were automatically generated based on the labels (स॰ and आ॰ र॰) found at the beginning of a commentary passage in the print edition and have not been fully compared against the source print edition; some of them will have to be corrected. In the 2nd chapter (body/div[2]), there is no Āyurvedarasāyana ("commentary2") and therefore there are no labels for the Sarvāṅgasundarā ("commentary1") in the print edition. For this reason the div's for "commentary1" an base text had to be assigned manually.

Revision Description

  • 2013-01-25Dominik Wujastyk: Converted from incoming file format to XML. Added first cut of TEI encoding.
  • 2013-01-16Dominik Wujastyk: Filled out the TEI header
  • 2013-01-20Dominik Wujastyk: Converted avagrahas (originally coded as tildes) to +a
  • 2013-01-27Dominik Wujastyk: Further extensive TEI tagging with headers, distinguishing commentaries, marking line groups.
  • 2013-01-27Dominik Wujastyk: Had an email exchage with Ram Manohar, who supervised the creation of this file, about the edition on which it was based. Comparison of scans from the damaged edition in Coimbatore with my own copy of the Chowkhambha Orientalia edition, Jaikrishnadas Ayurveda Series no. 52, establishes that they are identical across the whole volume. Added this as the sourceDesc
  • 2013-06-05Dominik Wujastyk: Did more work on the div-s of the text. I introduced div4 to contain text and commentary, with div3 containing adhyāyas, and div2 sthānas. Properly taged attribute types as sthāna, adhyāya and commentaries. I'm aiming at inserting explicit section and verse numbering.
  • 2016-07-13Dominik Wujastyk: Yet more work on the div elements. I added n="nnn" to the div type="adhyāya" elements, so that each adhyaya has it's number right there in the entity' attribute.
  • 2016-11-28: Updated markup according to the SARIT-guidelines. By Liudmila Olalde
  • 2016-11-30: Fixed div's in body/div[2], added some trailers, fixed some other div's, updated teiHeader By Liudmila Olalde
  • 2016-12-15Dominik Wujastyk: I have changed the abbreviated attributes for the divisions of the text into unabbreviated text names. E.g., $lt;div type="basetext" ana="ahṛ"> has become <div type="basetext" ana="Aṣṭāṅgahṛdayasaṃhitā"> This is a matter under current discussion, and it may be there are good reasons for using abbreviations that I am unaware of.
  • 2016-12-15Dominik Wujastyk: I have updated the file identity number to today's date.

Contents