A SARIT editionn
- Creation of machine-readable transcription: YanoMichio, IkariYasuke, and Joint Seminar on "Law (dharma) and Society in Classical India", Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University
- Initial editing and conversion to Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) markup: Richard Mahoney, Indica et Buddhica
- Maintenance of file for SARIT: Patrick Mc Allister (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Edits to file in SARIT: Dominik Wujastyk (email@example.com)
- Markup update according to the SARIT-Guidelines: Jinkyoung Choi
Published by SARIT: Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts, 2016.
Copyright (C) 1991-1996 members of the Joint Seminar on "Law (dharma) and Society in Classical India", coordinated by Yasuke Ikari at the Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University and SARIT
Under this licence, you are free
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
More information and fuller details of this license are given on the Creative Commons website.
SARIT assumes no responsibility for unauthorised use that infringes the rights of any copyright owners, known or unknown.2016
|Title:||Manusmṛti: with the Sanskrit commentary Manvartha-Muktāvalī of Kullūka Bhaṭṭa, edited by J. L. Shastri. With English introduction by S. C. Banerji|
|Editor:||J. L. Shastri|
|Place of Publication:||Dillī|
- SARIT transcript collated with:
Title: Mānava Dharma-śāstra: the code of Manu Title: Original Sanskrit text critically edited, according to the standard Sanskrit commentaries, with critical notes, by J. Jolly Author: Manu Editor: J. Jolly Publisher: Trübner Place of Publication: London Extent: xix, 346 p. ; 22 cm Date: 1887
Title: Manu's code of law Title: A critical edition and translation of the Mānava-Dharmaśāstra Author: Manu Editor: P. Olivelle Publisher: Oxford University Press Place of Publication: Oxford; New York; Tokyo Extent: x, 1131 p.; 25 cm Date: 2005
List of witnessesK =
SARIT: Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts is a library of electronic editions of Indic texts marked up according to the guidelines of the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI).
The published edition from which this e-text was transcribed is printed in the Devanāgarī script. The electronic text below is in a lossless transliteration using the Latin alphabet. The transliteration scheme used is the IAST (The International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration). IAST differs in small ways from ISO 15919, but is preferred by most working Sanskrit scholars. Conversion of this file to ISO 15919 can be achieved by performing the following replacements throughout the file: ṛ -> r̥ and ṃ -> ṃ
Word separation follows general transliteration principles in roman script, thus words are separated whenever possible such as "tac ca", "ity eva".
Members of a compound are separated by periods.
External sandhi is decomposed with -.
The text is based upon Shastri's edition (K). Variants in Medhātithi's commentary (M) are given at the end of each verse. The verse numbers correspond to K. Differing verse numbers in M are given in square brackets. Some verses which are found only in K or M, in these cases a note has been added.
References to each portion of the Sanskrit text have been placed at the start of each line: e.g., 9.19a refers to Shastri's 1983 edition of the Manusmṛti, Chapter 9, Verse 19, Line 1.
Chapter and section headings are from: Olivelle's 2005 edition..
Page references to Jolly's edition of the Sanskrit text have been encoded as pb-elements with the ed-attribute "jo". "J 6" refers to Jolly's 1887 edition, page 6.
Page references to Olivelle's edition and English translation have been placed below and to the right of the section headings: e.g., O edn 390-391, O tr. 89 refers to Olivelle's 2005 edition, pages 390 to 391, and translation, page 89.
- Abbreviations used in the xml:id's
- manu = Manusmṛti
- manu-medhā = Medhātithi's commentary
- The text was typed, analyzed and proofread by Michio Yano and Yasuke Ikari: May-June 1991; January-April 1992; March-April 1996.
- 2009-01-30: Established initial revision.
- 2009-06-20: 'a --> '
- 2009-05-25: Added Appendices.
- 2009-08-24: Transliteration of anusvāra improved and documented.
- 2009-08-26: Put variants into footnotes. Removed right brackets from body. All verses numbered within body.
- 2011-04-23: Cleaned header so it conforms to current tei p5.
- 2012-12-02: Updated TEI header, especially to include CC licence. By Dominik Wujastyk
- 2013-03-05: Updated and simplified TEI header, to bring it in line with current SARIT practice. By Dominik Wujastyk
- 2016-05-11: Corrected markup for text references in teiHeader and body By Jinkyoung Choi
- 2016-05-24: Inserted language attribute to head tags. By Jinkyoung Choi
- 2016-06-02: Added surname and forename tags in the heading and inserted trailer tag at the end of the body text. By Jinkyoung Choi
- 2016-07-16: Added listWit and wrapped abbreviations of witnesses in ref-elements. By Liudmila Olalde
- 2016-07-16: Added trailer and replaced square brackets in the trailer with supplied. By Liudmila Olalde
- 2016-07-16: Wrapped verse numbers in label-elements and removed the "M" at the beginning of verse numbers because "M" is the abbreviation used for Medhātithi's commentary. By Liudmila Olalde
- 2016-07-16: Wrapped variants and lemmata in the notes in q-elements. By Liudmila Olalde
- 2016-07-16Added xml:lang-attributes to notes and q. By Liudmila Olalde
- 2016-07-16: Added ed-attributes to pb's. By Liudmila Olalde
- 2016-07-16: Added resp-attributes to head-elements. By Liudmila Olalde
- 1: Chapter 1
- 1: 1.1. Prologue
- 2: 1.2. Creation
- 3: 1.3. Excursus: Second Account of Creation
- 4: 1.4. Excursus: Classification of Fauna and Flora
- 5: 1.5. Excursus: Cosmic Cycles
- 6: 1.6. Transmission of the Law
- 7: 1.7. Excursus: Time and Cosmology
- 8: 1.8. Excursus: Occupations of Social Classes
- 9: 1.9. Excursus: Excellence of the Brahmin
- 10: 1.10. Excursus: Treatise of Manu
- 11: 1.11. Excursus: Synopsis
- 2: Chapter 2
- 3: Chapter 3
- 4: Chapter 4
- 5: Chapter 5
- 6: Chapter 6
- 7: Chapter 7
- 8: Chapter 8
- 9: Chapter 9
- 10: Chapter 10
- 11: Chapter 11
- 12: Chapter 12