With the Commentary Pramāṇavārttikavṛtti
- Funder: German Research Foundation (DFG); Project "SARIT: Enriching Digital Text Collections in Indology" (Bilalteral Digital Humanities Programme DFG/NEH), 2013-2017
- Principal: Birgit Kellner
- data entry by: SWIFT Information Technologies, Mumbai
- prepared for SARIT by: Liudmila Olalde
Copyright 2014-2018 SARIT
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International licence. Under this licence, you are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
More information and fuller details of this license are given on the Creative Commons website.
SARIT assumes no responsibility for unauthorised use that infringes the rights of any copyright owners, known or unknown.2014
|Title:||with a commentary by Manorathanandin|
|Publisher:||Bihar and Orissa Research Society|
|Place of Publication:||Patna|
|Note:||Appendix to the Journal of the Bihar and Orissa Research Society|
|Note:||The manuscript consulted by Sāṅkṛtyāyana is described below.|
|Note:||The copy that was used for digitizing this text is the one that belonged to Erich Frauwallner and is now in the "Collection Frauwallner" in the South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies Library with signature S-28/V/21b (or S-0132-B).|
Written by Vibhūticandra in early old Bengali script (Sāṅkṛtyāyana refers to the script as Kuṭilā), the manuscript comprises 105 leaves of seven lines each that according to Sāṅkṛtyāyana measure 67.31 x 5.80 cm.
On July 28, 1936, Sāṅkṛtyāyana found this paper manuscript of Manorathanandin’s Pramāṇavārttikavṛtti in the hermitage Zha lu ri phug.
In the source file, there were two types of line breaks: returns (and possible surrounding space) and hyphens+returns. These were replaced with lb-elements. I didn't check whether the source was consequent in this respect. The ed-attribute "s" refers to Sāṅkṛtyāyana's edition.
The folio numbers on the margins were encoded as pb-elements. The ed-attribute "MA" refers to the manuscript used by Sāṅkṛtyāyana. The line numbers in the manuscript were encoded as lb-elements with the ed-attribute "MA".
The text is structured in three div-levels:
- Four chapters encoded as: div n="..." type="chapter" subtype="pariccheda"
- Subchapters encoded as: div n="[roman numbers]" type="subchapter". The subchapter number is not reflected in the verse numbers.
- The lowest div-level encloses a verse (or a group of verses) and its corresponding commentary, e.g.: div n="3.121 3.122abc" for a div enclosing verses 121 and the first three padas of 122 of the first pariccheda as well their commentary.
The notes represent marginal notes on the manuscript MA, written by Vibhūticandra. The editor Rāhula Sāṅkṛtyāyana is responsible for linking them with particular passages in the text. His linkages await further study. In some places his notes are prefixed with question marks, which we interpret as indicating Sāṅkṛtyāyana's uncertainty regarding where they belong. We placed them right after the immediately preceding note in the text, as a convention.
Abbreviations used in the attributes ed, cRef and xml:id's in this file:
- Divy = Divyāvadāna; the page number refers to P.L. Vaidya, Divyāvadāna, The Mithila Institute of Post-Graduate Studies and Research in Sanskrit Learning, Darbhanga 1959 (Buddhist Sanskrit Texts, 20)
- MA = Sanskrit manuscript of Manorathanandin's Pramāṇavārttikavṛtti used by Sāṅkṛtyāyana
- ps = Pramāṇasamuccaya; the verse numbers correspond to Steinkellner, Dignāga's Pramāṇasamuccaya, Chapter 1
- psv = Pramāṇasamuccayavṛtti; the verse numbers correspond to to Steinkellner, Dignāga's Pramāṇasamuccaya, Chapter 1
- pv = Dharmakīrti's Pramāṇavārttika
- pvv = Manorathanandin's Pramāṇavārttikavṛtti
- nsū = Gautama's Nyāyasūtra
- VāPa = Bhartṛhari's Vākyapadīya
- śv = Kumārila's Ślokavārttika
- pvsv = Dharmakīrti's Pramāṇavārttikasvavṛtti
- ts = Tattvasaṅgraha; the verse numbers correspond to Krishnamacharya's edition of Tattvasaṅgrahapañjikā
- 2014-05-18: I corrected the verse number of verse 2.450. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2014-06-04: I corrected the verse number of verse 4.116. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2014-06-04: I corrected the folio number 65b, which was wrong in the printed edition. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2014-06-30: I changed फलभि to फलमि on p. 214, line 15 from below. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2014-07-23: I corrected the verse number (३।१६३) in footnote 345-12. In the printed edition it reads (३।१६५). By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2014-07-23: In footnote 370-3 I changed प्रवर्त्तत to प्रवर्त्तेत. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2015-08-18: Added manually an index to the Pramāṇavārttika. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2015-12-30Added @xml:lang to the front-element. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2016-03-08: Deleted the Index to the Pramāṇavārttika. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2017-02-02: Fix spaces after notes. This was a partial fix, there are still some problems left. By saritcorpus.xml#patmcall
- 2017-03-25: For a complete history of the changes in this file go to SARIT GitHub Repository. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- add1: प्रथमः परिच्छेदः ॥ प्रमाणसिद्धिः
- add2: द्वितीयः परिच्छेदः द्रष्टव्यं परिशिष्टं ।५ प्रत्यक्षम्
- add3: तृतीयः परिच्छेदः स्वार्थानुमानं
- add4: चतुर्थः परिच्छेदः चतुर्थो व्याख्यायते । तत्र सम्बन्धमन्तरेण वाक्यार्थावृत्तेरिति तृतीयपरिच्छेदं व्याख्यायानेनोत्तरसम्बन्धं कथयन् प्रतिपर्तृसुखार्थमन्त्यपरिच्छेदे सर्वमेव शास्त्रशरीरमनुक्रमेण वृत्तिकृत् कथयति अनुमानमित्यादि । परार्थानुमानं