A SARIT edition
- Editor: Richard W. Lariviere
- Funders: The British Association for South Asian Studies and The British Academy
- Principal: Yasuke Ikari, Kyoto University
- Compilation, data entry, proof correction: Yasuke Ikari
- Initial editing and conversion to Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) markup: Richard Mahoney, Indica et Buddhica
- Maintenance of file for SARIT: Patrick Mc Allister (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dominik Wujastyk
Published by SARIT: Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts, 2013-2016.
Copyright (C) Richard W. Lariviere and Yasuke Ikari and SARIT
Under this licence, you are free
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
More information and fuller details of this license are given on the Creative Commons website.
SARIT assumes no responsibility for unauthorised use that infringes the rights of any copyright owners, known or unknown.2013-2016
|Title:||The Nāradasmṛti, critically edited with an introduction, annotated translation, and appendices by Richard W. Lariviere|
|Title:||Part One, Text|
|Editor:||Richard W. Lariviere|
|Publisher:||Department of South Asia Regional Studies, University of Pennsylvania|
|Place of Publication:||Philadelphia|
|Note:||Series / Number: University of Pennsylvania Studies on South Asia, v. 4|
|Note:||SARIT transcript correlated with: 1.)
The electronic text below is in a lossless transliteration from Sanskrit using the Latin alphabet. The transliteration scheme used is the IAST (The International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration). IAST differs in small ways from ISO 15919, but is preferred by most working Sanskrit scholars. Conversion of this file to ISO 15919 can be achieved by performing the following replacements throughout the file: ṛ -> r̥ and ṃ -> ṁ
Text Input System:
- Sanskrit diacritics are entered using the Unicode Standard Encoding (utf-8), IAST transliteration.
- Members of a compound are sometimes separated by periods.
- External sandhi is decomposed with -.
- Mūla Text rearranged from Prof. Lariviere's critical edition of the text. For the details of the text of critical edition, see Prof. Lariviere's introduction. Mūla text copied from Prof. Lariviere's file for the edition of text with commentary. Critical apparatus is omitted in this version (mūla text with apparatus is also available from Yasuke Ikari).
The text was typed, analyzed and proofread by Yasuke Ikari: March 1992.
The xml:id attributes of the l elements correspond to Lariviere's edition of the Nāradasmṛti.
- A l with xml:id set to nāsm.01.009a corresponds to Chapter 1, Verse 9, Line 1;
- A l with xml:id set to nāsm-m.01.009c corresponds to Mātṛkā 1, Verse 9, Line 2.
Mātṛkā and chapter headings are from: Lariviere, R.W..
Page references to Lariviere's edition of the Sanskrit text have been encoded as pb-elements.
Page references to Lariviere's and Jolly's English translations have been placed below and to the right of the section headings: e.g., L tr. 96-99, cf. J tr. 55-56 refers to Lariviere's translation, pages 96 to 99, and Jolly's translation, pages 55 to 56.
"J edn Mā" refers to the Prolegomena in:
- 2009-07-10: Established initial revision.
- 2009-08-24: Transliteration of anusvāra improved and documented.
- 2011-04-23: Cleaned header so it conforms to current tei p5.
- 2013-03-05: More changes and simplifications of the TEI header to reflect current SARIT conventions. By Dominik Wujastyk
- 2016-05-17Added xml:id's in the Source Description. By Jinkyoung Choi
- 2016-05-18: Added reference tags in the Encoding Description and the main text. By Jinkyoung Choi
- 2016-05-23: Inserted language attributes in the head tags and the back. By Jinkyoung Choi
- 2016-05-23: Added a respStmt for compilation, data entry, and proof correction. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2016-05-23Added xml:lang-attributes to the note-elements. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2016-05-23: Added ed-attributes to the pb-elements. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2016-05-24: Added cRef-attributes to the ref-elements in the verses. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- 2016-07-12: Added label-elements with the verse numbers. By https://viaf.org/viaf/308710472/
- add1: Part 1 Mātṛkā (Prolegomena)
- add2: Part 2 Vyavahārapadāni (Titles of Law)
- 1: Chapter 1 Ṛṇādānam (Nonpayment of Debts)
- 2: Chapter 2 Nikṣipaḥ (Deposits)
- 3: Chapter 3 Sambhūyasamutthānam (Breach of Contract for Service)
- 4: Chapter 4 Dattāpradānikam (Resumption of Gifts)
- 5: Chapter 5 Abhyupetyāśuśrūṣā (Breach of Contract for Service)
- 6: Chapter 6 Vetanasyānapākarma (Nonpayment of Wages)
- 7: Chapter 7 Asvāmivikrayaḥ (Sale without Ownership)
- 8: Chapter 8 Krītānuśayaḥ (Nondelivery of What Has Been Sold)
- 9: Chapter 9 Vikrīyāsampradānam (Reneging on a Purchase)
- 10: Chapter 10 Samayasyānapākarma (Nonobservance of Conventions)
- 11: Chapter 11 Kṣetrajavivādaḥ (Land Disputes)
- 12: Chapter 12 Strīpuṃsayogaḥ (Relations between Men and Women)
- 13: Chapter 13 Dāyabhāgaḥ (Partition of Inheritance)
- 14: Chapter 14 Sāhasam (Violent Acts)
- 15: Chapter 15-16 Vāgdaṇḍapāruṣye (Verbal and Physical Assault)
- 16: Chapter 17 Dyūtasamāhvayam (Gambling and Contests)
- 17: Chapter 18 Prakīrṇakam (Miscellaneous)
- add3: Part 3 Pariśiṣṭam (Addenda)